Welcome SWIM's Website!
SWIM is now officially a non-profit organization. Our official name is: Nahant SWIM Inc. The IRS has sent us the documentation and posted our status of 501(c)(3) on the web.
Since 1984, Nahant SWIM, Inc. (Safer Waters in Massachusetts) has worked to protect the waters of the North Shore from pollution. Our goal is to protect both Boston Harbor and Massachusetts Bay.
SWIM has worked by participating in the planning and implementation process, by contributing scientific and technical expertise, through community organization, through citizen water quality monitoring, through working with other environmental groups, and through public education.
|* EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS SUCH AS EARTH DAY ACTIVITIES|
|* EXPERT SPEAKERS ON ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES|
|* TESTIFYING AT HEARINGS ON URGENT ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES|
|* PROVIDING WRITTEN COMMENTS ON ISSUES FACING NAHANT|
|* EMAIL UPDATES ON NAHANT ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERNS|
|Visit the State BEH Website for the latest beach testing results. SELECT NAHANT From the "Selat a Town" Drop Down Menu.
Canoe Beach and Forty Steps Beach Are Now Open
Help SWIM Continue Its Mission!
We need your help so that we may continue to take the steps necessary to help protect the beautiful beaches and clean waters around Nahant.
Since 1984, Nahant SWIM Inc. (Safer Waters in Massachusetts) has been working to address important issues that face our community and our local environment. For over 25 years, our organization has been a monitor and one of the first responders whenever situations have arisen that threatened our fragile, natural surroundings. Our members, in partnership with other environmental organizations, our elected officials, and scientists at Northeastern University Marine Science Center in Nahant, have created and executed effective campaigns that have protected the beautiful surroundings we all call our home.
Thanks to our collective efforts:
• SWIM was instrumental in requiring Boston to build its sewage outfall farther from Nahant and the North Shore.
• SWIM made sure that Boston, Lynn and Salem installed secondary sewage treatment.
• SWIM prevented dumping of contaminated dredging spoils from Chelsea Creek just offshore from Nahant. This victory has helped stop other proposals to use the ocean for disposal of polluted material.
• SWIM helped fight proposed construction of floodgates across the Saugus River.
• SWIM worked to protect lobsters from environmental effects of the gas pipeline built offshore from Beverly to the South Shore.
Today, our efforts continue:
• SWIM is celebrating its second year of the very successful Adopt-A-Beach program. Every month over 20 volunteers monitor and clean Nahant’s beaches .
• SWIM is closely studying the recent reports and sightings of possible cruise ship discharge in our local waters in August and gathering information to ready us for action.
• SWIM is offering educational programs to children in conjunction with Northeastern University Marine Science Center on East Point to help ensure that the next generation continues to protect our environment.
SWIM needs your help for the future. Although our programs are staffed by volunteers, we do incur costs associated with our activities and advocacy.
Today we are writing you to ask you to please consider making a gift to support SWIM. Your contribution will help provide the resources we need to continue our efforts to represent our community whenever situations arise that threaten our priceless island environment. Your contribution will help promote positive change in our natural environment and much-needed education of the public. We are awaiting our IRS determination letter confirming us as tax exempt. Our Articles of Organization with Massachusetts fulfill all the requirements of a 501(c)(3).
In advance, thank you for your generosity. For your convenience you can download our Donation Form here.
Vi Patek, President, Nahant SWIM Inc.
SWIM Officers | Directors | Advisors | 2013
Liaison | Town of Nahant
Liaison | Commercial Fishing Fleet
Liaison | Northeastern University
|Safer Waters in Massachusetts (SWIM)
c/o Northeastern University Marine Science Center. East Point, 430 Nahant Road, Nahant, MA 01908
Email: email@example.com (please note new address)
Search Our Website
Note: Thanks for visiting us!!!!